Friday, August 14, 2009

Facebook is evil!


I will admit I am hopelessly addicted to Facebook, it's great to see where everyone is at and what they are doing with their lives, especially since I live 3000 miles away from my hometown. I now understand why Facebook has lead to people not attending high school reunions, because all people really care about is what does everyone look like and what did they do with their life, and with Facebook we can see all that with the click of a button.

For me, and all other infertiles Facebook is like salt in the wound. Facebook is filled with pregnancy announcements, ultrasound photos, and family pictures, it's devastating. I have seen pretty much everyone I have gone to high school and college with get pregnant, have their perfect baby, and I have had to watch it all unfold online. Now I know that I don't have to look at it, but when it's right there in front of you what can you do? How do you not respond to someones "I'm pregnant!" status update! It's rude to not say congratulations. I think I should put my status update as "I'm not pregnant" and see what happens.

In the past 24 hours I have seen a "we are having a girl" announcement and "we are pregnant" on my Facebook wall, it really makes me feel physically ill! All day long on the infertility message boards girls are writing in how Facebook and Myspace makes them feel so bad about themselves, because it's so hard to be happy for others when you are so sad for yourself. There really is no quick fix to this, other then to completely take yourself of these social networking sites, which right now is seeming like a good idea to me.

I know that people are excited about their pregnancy, but does it have to be broad casted to the entire world via the Internet. I would hope that people are not using these sites as an excuse to tell good friends and family exciting news. I can tell you that if my mother found out I was pregnant from Facebook she would be pissed! I also feel that posting zillions of photos of your kids on the Internet can be dangerous, do you really want those floating around in cyberspace? No one knows who has access to photos of you and your child, there are some sick people out there!
It's like the people who post on Facebook that they are going on vacation, are you stupid!? You just broad casted that your home is empty- why not just put a sign on your front door that says "please rob us" it's not that hard to get people's address's.

So not only do us infertiles have to get over seeing pregnant women everywhere we go, seriously when the entire world start having kids! But we cannot even go online without having it thrust into our faces, nowhere is safe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow--you took the words right out of my mouth. I think in the last week, two of my FB friends have had babies and two have announced pregnancies. It just sucks. Love your blog :)