Sunday, February 22, 2009

His Name WAS Liam


Hi, folks John here. Every now and than the geek in me has been revealed here in many posts and is about to be again.

I am fan of the TV series Battlestar Galactica and watch religiously every week. This weeks episode "Deadlock" hit home for me in a unexpected way.

To make a long story short for those of you who are not familiar with show, there is a race of artificial beings known as Cylons. The Cylons, originally robotic in nature, evolved into human versions. The human versions, or skin jobs as they are called by the actual humans, are not able to reproduce with themselves. Essentially, they are infertile.

Through the course of the show we learn that humans and the human Cylon versions are able to reproduce. But eventually two human versions of Cylons are finally able to conceive.

Caprica Six, also known as Six after her model number, and Col. Saul Tigh, known to be one of the original 5, get pregnant. I have often joked with Shannon that we are Cylons since we have had such a hard time conceiving.

This episode had hit home for me as Caprica and Saul lose their baby. It reminded me of when Shannon had miscarried and we lost our baby. Reminding me even when do get pregnant again there is a chance we could miscarry again.

In a touching scene, between him and William Adama, Saul reveals the babies name WAS Liam, short for William. Although, Shannon and I will never know what the child we lost would have been we press on.

I look forward to see how the final episodes of Battlestar Galactica pan out and eagerly await how our own adventure comes to a climatic climax. I look forward to the day when I can say her name IS Claire or his name is Luke.

No comments: