Sunday, August 16, 2009

No, I'm sorry you only get ONE shower!

Since moving to Las Vegas I have noticed that things are done a lot differently on this side of the country. I know it sounds stupid, but it's really true. One thing that I find totally strange out here is that number of baby showers that people have. Women that are pregnant with their 2nd or 3rd child have another baby registry and another baby shower. Now, I can tell you that where I am from this does not happen, and I find it totally strange. There was only one situation that I felt it was okay to have another shower. A friend of the family had a child back when she was 18 years old, well now 17 years later she is married and pregnant again- now that is okay in my book. I think that 17 years between children is long enough to need another shower, so this did not bother me. But the people who have a 3 year old and are pregnant again and have another shower for baby #2 that's just greedy in my book.

According to etiquette books the true purpose of a baby shower is to help new parents acquire the gear and supplies they'll need for the baby. But when you already have all the stuff from your first baby there is no need to have a second shower. Now I am not saying that you cannot celebrate a second or third baby- but there is a way to do it in good taste. Having a small get together with family and friends where everyone brings diapers and wipes (which are always needed) AKA a Diaper and Wipes Party is acceptable and a fun way to just get everyone together. Another option is to have a party once the baby is born so everyone can meet the new baby.

I am not saying that every child should not be celebrated, however there are ways to do it in a tasteful way so that guests do not feel as if they invited to a shower just so they bring a gift.




No comments: