Wednesday, August 26, 2009

You stole my name, bitch!

Names- this can be a touchy subject when it comes to babies. Some women are very funny about "their" names and protecting "their" names from others stealing them. Honestly I never really thought about this, yes John and I have our children's names picked out and I really have not told many people what those names are, but it's not because I am afraid someone will steal them, its more of the I want the surprise factor when we announce the name.

I have heard horror stories about friendships being ruined over someone taking someone Else's baby name. This is actually such a big deal that it was a story line in Sex and the City. Charlotte (who did not have kids) was made when her friend took her baby name, Shayla.

I had a run in with this situation just the other day. My dear friend, who struggled with infertility for over 3 years is due to give birth any day to a baby girl. Now baby girl is still nameless, so I have been joking with my friend that she needs to come up with a name. Well, yesterday she told me that she had it narrowed down to Layla or Kennedy, and she wanted my opinion. Now, Kennedy is my #2 girl name, if I had twin girls one would be Kennedy. So I told my friend that I LOVE Kennedy, but that Layla was very different and with her last name I thought Layla fit better, then I added that Kennedy is my alternative girl name, and she immediately starting saying how sorry she was. Honestly, I was shocked I could not understand why she was sorry. So I asked her, and she said well I stole your name. I explained to her that first off there is more then one Kennedy in the world and her and I have never discussed names so she did not do it on purpose. I told her if she liked the name to use it- it will not change my decision to use it one day in the future.

She was so relieved when I explained all this to her, and I have to say that it was nice to see how concerned she was, even though she had no reason to be. I think it's silly that people get upset over names. Now if someone takes your name on purpose then you have a reason to be upset, but who actually does that? Think of all the Jennifer's there are that were born in the 80's, there are a ton!

So my suggestion is name your child what you want, love the name and go with your gut! Do not worry about what others think, if people get mad then screw them, they are your kids it's your decision!

1 comment:

Unicorns said...

Great readingg this