Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Sleep is WAY overrated!

As many of you know babies and toddlers are all over the place with their sleep patterns, and Miss Claire is no exception to this rule. We are experiencing the dreaded "sleep regression" in our house right now, and I am just about at the end of my rope. It's amazing how much sleep you can actually function on- I have calculated that I am probably getting about 4-5 good hours of sleep a night, and amazingly I am functioning almost at 100%! HAHA!

We did the cry it out method when Claire was younger and it worked like a charm, that doesn't seem to be the case now days. She wakes up screaming bloody murder at 2am, just about every night, and then this morning she was up at 5AM, luckily we were able to get her to go back to sleep until 630AM. Both John and I are not fans of co sleeping, I just don't know why people think it's a good idea to sleep with their child, I mean the kid has to learn to sleep in their own bed eventually, why delay the inevitable?!

After consulting Google I have found that this seems to be a common problem in toddlers around this age, there is so much going on developmentally that sleep is just the last thing these kids want to do. I am still juggling with the idea that it's something to do with her allergies, she always seems so congested, but not much we can do there, she already takes a small dose of Claritan. I have also thought maybe it's more teeth, but I don't seem to see any new ones, so who knows!

I really struggle with being upset about her getting up at night, I love the extra time with her, just rocking her back to sleep, but another side of me just wants to go to bed, I have actually considered sleeping on her floor, however I have never actually done this! She seems to like me in her room, even if she's in her crib.

All this sleep drama has lead me once again to another online search- I am thinking ordering some sleep books online- gotta love Amazon- so we will see- I will keep you all updated to our sleep issues, until then nighty night!

No comments: