Friday, January 16, 2009

What the hell is a DIVA CUP?

That was my first question when I kept seeing this coming up over and over on a message board that I frequent on Thenestbaby.com, so I started to do some research and this is what I found.

The DivaCup is a non-absorbent menstrual cup that simply collects menstrual flow. It is inserted in the vagina and sits at the lower base of the vaginal canal. It is worn internally, yet because it is soft and smooth, it cannot be felt nor will it leak when inserted properly. So pretty much its a dixie cup that you wear in your va jay jay! I have to admit I was shocked and I cannot image trying to insert this contraption. Also I do not believe that it doesn't leak! I mean come on. But anyways I kept researching, the DivaCup claims to be the most clean and convenient method of feminine hygiene protection. No need to touch the flow. It is worn low in the vagina, not near the cervix, so it is easy to remove. No mess!- I guess they consider tampons messy, I mean isn't that what the string is for?

The DivaCup can be worn for up to 12 hours before emptying, washing and reinserting for use for another 12 hours. It can be used for light or moderate flows and is emptied more often to accommodate heavy flows. Perfect for overnight use. So pretty much if you have heavy flow you may need to empty it more frequently.

The Diva Cup can be purchased online through Amazon.com, that was the only pleace tat I found it. There is a website divacup.com where you can search for a store that carries it in your state.

I have to admit I am intrigued by this product, think how much money we could save if we didn't have to buy tampons or pads? But the thought of having to clean something out kinda makes me sick. I am still contemplating buying on, maybe I will just to do a review of it on my blog.

1 comment:

Kerry Abdow said...

I think everyone should use menstrual cups!!! I am pretty sure I had the same issue as many ladies out there- tampons and pads were seriously irritating the heck out of me... the chemicals, the discomfort... blech! I finally had to say "enough!". I also recently switched over to the silicone, reusable alternative called The Diva Cup (I love the name!) and could not be happier! The silicone is latex-free, and, apparently, it's the same kind used in medical tubing. My body is thanking me, and so is my pocketbook; no more monthly shopping... yay! And, of course, it feels good to use such an environmentally-friendly product and know that I am reducing my eco-footprint in a way that I never thought was possible. I bought mine at whole foods, but you can check out their great website, too: (www.divacup.com). Viva la Diva!