Saturday, October 18, 2008

My beef with Insurance companies

I have done a lot of research on insurance companies and what they cover and what they do not. Some of the major carriers, Aetna, United Health Care, and Cigna do offer some fertility benefits. Some even cover In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) and Inter Uterine Insemination (IUI) as well as the drugs that go with them. It just depends on what policy your company chooses to offer for its employees.

I am very lucky to have coverage for 6 IUI's under my insurance, and my husbands company policy covers IVF, but that does not go into effect for a few more months. So I am very happy to have some coverage.

It really bothers me that insurance companies will pay for, birth control and abortion, but they will not pay for fertility coverage. We didn't choose this road, I didn't choose to not be able to have children the old fashion way. Infertility is a medically documented problem and should be treated as such.

My suggest for everyone is to talk to you Human Resource dept and get information on all the policies that are available to you. Ask if they cover fertility treatments or diagnostics. HMO policies are usually the plans that have fertility coverage, but be informed, ask a lot of questions and get the insurance plan that is right for you.

No comments: