Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stims start your engines!

As instructed I started my Follistim on day 3 of my cycle, which was yesterday. Again, Follistim is a very small needled that is injected into the tummy area. It doesn't hurt a bit. Follistim is my friend, it's liquid gold (as I call it) it makes the follicles grow, therefore creating lots and lots of eggs.

I call it liquid gold because its VERY expensive, I am so lucky to have insurance coverage for it, otherwise it would run around $3000 for one IVF cycle. The more stimulation you need to get your ovaries going the more drug you need- so some women spend tons of money of these drugs. Other common drugs that are used to stimulate the ovaries, is Gonal F and Bravelle.

I go back to the doctor on Monday, so after 3 days of stims we will see where I am with follicle growth. I am also still taking a small dose of Lupron just to keep my ovaries from ovulating and releasing the eggs before the doctor is ready for them and before they are mature enough. So I am up to two shots per day, but again they are a piece of cake- I never thought I would say that.

I have a mix of emotions right now- I am super excited- we have been waiting for this for over a year- but I am also scared- because it's real! I am just taking it day by day and concentrate on what I have to do today- and not worry about tomorrow.


No comments: