Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Why does music bring back memories?

I was driving in my car today and a song came on the radio, and it was Starship's Nothings Gonna Stop us Now.

This is a song that takes me back to age 7 in the car with my mom, every time this song would come on my mom was dance and sing so loudly. I specifically remember one time and I was upset about something- this song came on the radio and my mom started dancing and singing, by the time we got to the middle of the song I was smiling and singing along with her. This has always been what me and mom consider "our" song.

I still to this day 21 years later LOVE this song, I dance and sing every time it comes on the radio. But today it had a different meaning- the chours of the song:

And we can build this dream together standing strong forever
Nothings gonna stop us now

I realized that this song has a new meaning: It's John and I and our dream is our family- and we are building the dream together. I was literally in tears when the song was over.

I love how music can transform time and take you back to a specific memory in your life. This is one song that has nothing but good memories attached to it. My mom is wonderful, I miss her dearly- but this song brings be a little closer to her and closer to our dream.



No comments: