Sunday, November 30, 2008

IUI success rates

Since we have been going through the IUI process I thought I would share the numbers side of it and answer the much asked question, just how effective is IUI?

For a couple with unexplained infertility, and the female is less then 35 years of age, and they have been trying to conceive for 2 years, with normal sperm- here are the numbers:

8% chance per month of conceiving and delivering with IUI- this is using Clomid as a drug to stimulate the ovaries.
10%- 30% chance per month of conceiving and delivering with injectable FSH medication (Follistim, Gonal F)

This is directly related to the number of mature follicles. Now using injectables will increase the number of follicles, for the best chance of success at least 3 mature follicles is the goal. The more follicles, the more eggs, therefore more targets for the sperm, therefore a better chance of conception.

I have done Clomid, and I had 2 mature follicles, with Follistim I have had 4 one cycle and 5 on another, so the injectable medication is definitely more powerful, my suggestion go for the injectables, its your best shot!

No comments: