Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Science- the Shannon way!

The Shettles Method, is a method that is supposed to help you determine the sex of your baby. Now, there is a lot in the news about gender selection, and whether you believe in it or not the Shettles method is very interesting. It helps you determine the gender of your child based on when you have sex. It states that male sperm does not live as long as female sperm. So having sex prior to ovulation can help you conceive a female, and having sex closer to ovulation will raise your chances of conceiving a boy. So pretty much the female sperm are heartier and can live longer and hang out and wait for the egg to be released, while the male sperm do not live as long and will die off the longer that they are waiting for the egg.

Now when I first heard of this I though this is dumb and there is no way this is correct, but then I started thinking about how many friends that I had that have baby boys, and then I think about how popular the ovulation kits have become, and it makes seance. The ovulation kits tell you when you are about to ovulate, therefore causing couples to have sex closer to ovulation therefore increasing the chances of having a boy. Its the Shettles Method being used, but we do not realize that we are using it.

So I put together a list to test my theory, because the way I see it the babies that are "planned", as in the couple was trying to conceive and wanted to get the timing right for intercourse should be boys, where the "accidents" or not planned babies should be girls, because sex was more random. Here are my results. I have used my friends as my test subjects. The babies that were conceived using ovulation predictor kits (OPK) I have noted.

Couple A: Baby #1 planned- Boy (OPK)
Couple B: Baby #1 not planned- Girl Baby #2 planned- Boy (OPK)
Couple C: Baby #1 planned- Boy Baby #2 not planned- Girl
Couple D: Baby #1 not planned- Girl Baby #2 planned- Boy
Couple E: Baby #1 not planned- Girl Baby #2 planned- Boy
Couple F: Baby #1 planned- Boy (OPK)
Couple G: Baby #1 planned- Boy (OPK)

So there you have it, that's my proof that there is some truth to the Shettles Method- there are lots of books on the method available at your local Barnes and Noble or Borders.
I am all for what God gives you is what you get, and we have been waiting so long that I would take either, I am not picky. But it is interesting to know how are bodies work and the inter working of conception. Best of Luck!

No comments: