Saturday, December 27, 2008

Santa Forgot Something...

I remember when I was six years old and had wanted a Six Million Dollar Man action figure so bad. Santa had delivered and I ran through the house showing everyone what I had got. Another year I had wanted this batcopter as part of my Mego World's Greatest Super Hero Collection. My parents had ordered it through the J C Penney catalog and I remember counting the days until it arrived. At one point I was told I was bad, which I probably was, and the batcopter was not coming. But late Christmas morning Santa had come through...I got my batcopter.

I can't remember many Christmas's where I didn't get what I asked for, but this year Santa was a little short...no baby. Unlike Ralphie's Red Ryder carbine action 200 shot range model air rifle from "A Christmas Story", hidden behind a desk as a last minute surprise, there were no gifts hidden anywhere this year. But I take that back. There wasn't a last minute surprise in the form of a baby, but there were plenty of gifts.

Shannon had come through as usual with the things I had wanted. Especially, the DVD of "The Dark Knight", which yes I am still a Batman Fanatic. Another great gift was the ability to share our new home with family and friends on Christmas Eve. This is the first year we had room to fit everyone comfortably as our other homes have always been to small to entertain.

One of the best gifts though this year was the time we spent with our nieces and nephews especially my three year old nephew River. He reminds me so much of myself. He has been on a Indiana Jones kick since the movie came out last summer. But just like me he is a fan of all that is Geek. Batman, Spiderman, and Indiana Jones.

He received a Spiderman costume from his Grandpa for a Christmas gift, I would have died for that thing when I was his age, and he immediately put it on. I became the Green Goblin or the Green "Gobbin" as he called me. We had a blast. Someone said John's a 10 year old in the body of a 38 year old and that maybe I had secretly wanted a boy. We have had our heart set on a girl, but as you know any healthy baby would do for us.

I had shown River my collection of toys from when I was his age earlier in the evening. My Star Wars and Super Hero collection had River's eyes wide open. The constant "Wows" had reminded of the "Wows" I had as kid seeing these things in department stores. At one point he asked me if he could play with my pristine World Greatest Super Heroes Mego action figures. I told to tell him a heart breaking "No,", but a thought had come to my mind that I would probably have to have the collection locked up to prevent little hands from opening those boxes one day.

Although, we didn't receive the main present we were hoping for I did get some great gifts. Spending time with my wonderful wife, family and friends. Remembering the excitement of the all my Christmas's past. And seeing the wonder and joy in children's eyes and knowing that one day I would one day see those same looks on our children's eyes on Christmas.

No comments: