Sunday, December 21, 2008

Infertility Myth #5

THE ENERGIZER BUNNY MYTH
“My biological clock keeps ticking; I can’t afford to take a month off from treatment, even though I could desperately use a break.”

This rings true to my life right now. We are taking a break from treatments so I can have my lap surgery, and since I cannot get in for that until January 14th we are on a break cycle this month. In a way it is kind of nice to just relax and not deal with doctors appointments and what dosage of medicine to inject myself with. But in another way I am sad because we are not doing anything this month to get pregnant, so in a way I feel like every day is a waste. I know that one month is nothing in the grand scene of life, but in a way my life has been has been so centered around getting pregnant that I do not know what to do with myself or my time.

It may be healthy to take a short respite from medical treatment to reassess your situation and renew your energy. As one person put it, “Suspending treatment for a couple of months was such a treat! It rejuvenated me physically and allowed me to reconnect with my husband emotionally and sexually. It was great to live like a normal, married couple for a while. I felt better prepared to continue the difficult work of infertility treatment.” No one can keep going and going, we are not the energizer bunny, and sometimes its healthy to take a step back, however hard it may be.

No comments: