Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Myths #10

There are 10 top myths about infertility, so I am here to blow them out of the water!

1. THE ELIJAH MYTH: You find yourself asking, “Why am I the only one facing this?
Why is everyone else a ‘fertile Myrtle’?”
I do not know how many times I have asked myself this, yes outloud!

The Elijah Complex is common among believers who suffer from infertility. Elijah was a faithful servant of God, but discouragement blinded him from realizing that he was not alone. The Bible paints a descriptive portrait of Elijah complaining to God, “I am the only one left...” God had to pointedly remind Elijah that He had 7,000 other faithful servants in Israel; he was not alone (1 Kings 19:14-18 NIV). Sometimes God needs to remind us that we are not alone!

I have asked God so many times "why this is happening to us" and I have thought so many times that I am only one dealing with infertility. I am the only one of our friends left that has not had kids. That is a very lonely feeling. I have found solace in online message boards, as well as support groups, such as our local RESOLVE chaper. To find your local RESOLVE chapter visit, www.RESOLVE.org, they are an organization that helps couples deal with infertility. Looking into church groups is also helpful, talk to your pastor and see if they are able to introduce you to another couple in your church who is dealing with infertility. Talking to others who are going through what you are will help realize that you are not alone, and you are not crazy. All the feelings that I thought were wrong and crazy were actually normal.

The most important thing to remember is that you are NOT alone, currently there are five to ten million American couples who are facing infertility. To put it another way, approximately one in six couples will face an infertility challenge in their married life.

No comments: